Saturday, July 16, 2005

super powers

So we spent a week with my family at a beautiful cottage in Petoskey, MI. One night up there the girls (me, my Mom, sister, cousin and sister-in-law) were all sitting around and the "if you could have one super power what would it be" question came up. It was crazy because everyone immediately had an answer, without hesitation. The big one was invisibility and I have a theory that this is more common with women, mostly because we're all so nosey! I asked Andy later and he said teleportation (which may have something to do with a little character "quirk" I call laziness). I originally said breathing under water, mostly because as a little girl I had fantasies about being Ariel, but it has since occurred to me that I am a little bit afraid of the ocean and large lakes (fish freak me out...a lot) which would restrict me to pools and that seems like a wasted power. Has anyone seen the movie Powder? I think if I had a super power I'd want to be able transfer the feelings people have to other people, it's sort of like the ultimate power of empathy. There's a scene where this old jerky man shoots a deer, but he shoots it in the gut so it's lying there dying really slowly and Powder touches the deer and then grabs the man and all of the sudden the man feels what it would be like to die that way. Now, I'm not all anti-hunting, but it would certainly help to aid communication if people could really feel what it's like to be in someone else's position. (People to people as opposed to deer and people, of course) Anyway, to encourage posting here's a question for any who read this:


If you could have a super power, what would it be?

2 Comments:

At 6:20 PM, Blogger Lisa said...

I always wanted to be able to freeze time like that girl on that t.v. show when we were kids. I think it was called Out of this World. She would touch her index fingers together to freeze time, and then press her palms together to unfreeze it. And she could unfreeze people, too, by touching them. I used to try and do it when I was a kid, but, alas, it never worked...

 
At 12:31 PM, Anonymous Anonymous said...

If I could have any super power, I would want the power to understand what is truth, immediately, and without hesitation.

Very little of what we run across day to day is truthful, and what little bit is truthful is steeped in the experience and perspective of the human conveying the facts.

I would choose to be able to understand the bits of things that I run across day-to-day, that really are true.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home