Wednesday, June 15, 2005

Cool book

I'm reading a book called The God Who Is There by Francis Schaeffer right now, he was this amazing Christian philosopher and the book was written in response to the modern philosophy developing in the 60s. I process externally and no one is home, so I thought I'd share a thought here. Schaeffer talks about the development of this belief that antithesis does not exist, the idea that A=non-A, meaning there is no objective truth, that nothing has an absolute opposite. The belief that men can synthesize, for example, the thesis that God exists with its anti-thesis God does not exist and somehow that this is rational and logical. He says that the danger is not in the conclusion, but rather in the way a person gets to the conclusion, meaning the way of thinking. I can see how this has infiltrated the evangelical Christian church, as I see many churches play with the concept of absolute truth in an effort to be acceptable to the world. But consider what Schaeffer says:


"Finally, and with due reverence, may I emphasize that not only should we have genuine compassion for the lost among whom we live, but also concern for our God. We are his people, and if we get caught up in the other methodology, we have really blasphemed, discredited and dishonored him-for the greatest antihesis of all is that God exists as opposed to his not existing; he is the God who is there." (p. 68)


I'm not much of a philosopher so I hope I am interpreting Schaeffer correctly, feel free to post comments, questions, etc. Have a good day!

1 Comments:

At 11:06 PM, Blogger Tricia said...

Nate and I read that book during long distance dating time. I'm not much of a philosopher either, but I like Francis Schaeffer. It helped to discuss it with Nate. I also like Schaeffer's daughter, Susan Schaeffer Maculay's writing. She writes a great book called "For the Family's Sake" about the need for a solid family routine and home. Good stuff.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home